C la vie
C la vie, the new creation by Serge Aimé Coulibaly / Faso Danse Théâtre will be an adventurous and critical contemporary celebration of life, an overflow of energy that brings humanity together. A resilient narrative that does not solidify concepts but has in itself something of the liberating force of carnival, the madness of creative power that merrily sweeps away all obstacles and ignores established rules and hierarchies. A collective celebration of unique lives.
For C la vie, Serge Aimé Coulibaly immerses himself in the traditional events and forms that accompany the cycles of life. On the one hand, the Western tradition of carnival, on the other hand, the West African tradition of the Wara of the Senufo region. From an exploration of the history and the different forms and evolutions of these ancient rituals of transgression and their dances, he develops a new ritual of celebration for our contemporary world.
For the first time, trance and overcoming trance are now an integral part of the creation’s development. The choreographic language will be nourished by traditional forms and rhythms but will move away from these initial inspirations towards contemporary writing and a detailed execution of great precision.
As with every creation by Serge Aimé Coulibaly, the choice of music is a key element . For C la vie, Coulibaly starts from his own multidisciplinary education and his personal past as a percussionist – a discipline he has not actively practiced for more than 20 years but which is at the heart of his specific dance language. For this creation, it is the virtuoso of the drums and multi-instrumentalist – fine connoisseur of the Indian, African and European music – Stéphane Edouard who will sign the musical creation and who will join the team on the stage with a multitude of percussions and additional music.
C la vie will be a choreographic creation of 75min. for seven dancers, a singer and a percussionist. Creation planned for summer ’23.
- World premiere: summer '23
- Direction: Serge Aimé Coulibaly
- Creation & performance: Jean Robert Koudogbo-Kiki, Ida Faho, Angela Rabaglio, Guilhem Chatir, Djibril Ouattara, Arsène Etaba, Anelisa Stuurnam (singer) and Stéphane Edouard (percussionist)
- Music: Stéphane Edouard
- Coproduction: Charleroidanse (BE), STUK Leuven (BE), Kampnagel Hamburg (DE), Tanz im August Berlin (DE), La Rampe-La Ponatière Echirolles (FR), Tanztage Ingolstadt (DE), Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg (LU), Festival RomaEuropa (IT)
- With the support of: De Vlaamse overheid